Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I Love My Basil Crop



Isn't it beautiful?  We grew it from seed.  I can't believe how much there is. 

We use it in this recipe for these tomato appetizers.  They are super simple and tasty -

Line a pan with foil coated  with olive oil.  Place tomato slices on the foil.    



Cut basil into strips with scissors and place a generous amount on the tomato slices. 








Then place a handful of shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese on each.



Now you can either grill them outside on the grill until the cheese is melted and browned or place in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes. 

And this is what they look like -


When we grill out we have to have these.  To be honest though they are just as good when you bake them.  Even people who don't like tomatoes seem to like these.    Sometimes I'll use fresh mozzarella cheese instead of the shredded cheese. 

I still have tons of basil.  Tomorrow I am going to make pesto and freeze it.

No comments:

Post a Comment