Saturday, July 23, 2011

One Bizarre Cat -



I found Scruffy on our porch one winter day about a year and a half ago.  She is a really pretty long haired, tortoise shell cat.  I fed her and she kept coming back.  Imagine that.  We decided to keep her.  

I took her to the vet and got her shots.  The next time I took her to the vet, I mentioned that she had gotten much fatter and wondered if she could be pregnant.  The vet said she thought she had been fixed but wasn't sure since the incision was crooked and strange.

 Scruffy wouldn't let her feel her belly to see if there were kittens in her, so the vet suggested she do surgery to make sure.  The vet did the surgery and determined the she had been spayed. 

Then she started getting more and more withdrawn.  She didn't socialize with us or our other cat.  She hid all the time and just got really weird.  She only comes around when you feed her.  Only then will she let you pet her. 

Since we moved, she wouldn't even come out of the basement.  I am certain she is bipolar.  Seriously, we think she may have been abused or something.  Or maybe she is deaf.  

 I started thinking of her as the bipolar cat in the basement.   She has never tried to leave the house, but I have felt that I was holding her hostage or something.

A few weeks ago she started sleeping in the litter box.  OK - gross.  I couldn't even wake her up.  A couple of days I had to get her out to clean it.  Also, if she is in there, how are the other cats able to use it?   I started thinking I was going to have to get another litter box and put a blanket in it and hope she would rather sleep in it.  A few days later she stopped sleeping in it.

All of a sudden she has decided to come out of the basement.   She is suddenly socializing. She had some kind of psychological break through.  I really want this cat to be a happy cat.  But she still acts really bizarre.  Now she is just sitting in the dog's water bowl.  We have to physically get her out.  I'm sure the dog does not like her soaking in the water bowl.


 She even lets the dog around her.  In the past Spotz would bark and chase her.  I'm sure that this didn't make her feel secure.   Now Spotz licks Scruffy and Scruffy comes back for more.   It's almost sickening.

Here is a video of Spotz and Scruffy.










2 comments:

  1. I love that you have your blog. I've heard stories about your bipolar cat, but I never knew what she looks like. I still keep wanting to post in mine ... but I have no motivation. Keep posting in yours. :) Maybe it will motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather - you were my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete